In the treatment room, the eye area is most often the area of concern that comes with clients that are looking to prevent or correct signs of aging. Fine lines start to become more noticeable before the rest of the face because the skin around the eye area is physically different than the rest of the face.
Why is the skin around the eyes so much different than the rest of the face?
– The skin under the eyes can be up to 10 times thinner than the rest of the face. Thinner skin means less collagen and elastin which leads to expression lines being more prominent in the delicate eye area.
– The skin around the eye area contains less oil glands leading to dryer skin. Fine lines and wrinkles are more noticeable on dryer parts of the face. Dry skin can also make the area sensitive.
– The eye area contains more capillaries (blood vessels) which can lead to excess fluid making the area appear puffy. With the skin also being dry, this can appear more prominently.
– Last but not least the skin around the eye areas is constantly being used. Every time you smile, blink or squint the skin around the eye is moving and expressing leading to fine lines from repetitive movement.
With these noted differences it starts to make sense that the products you are using around your eye area need to be specifically formulated for this unique part of the face. The ingredients need to be effective and intentional while staying nonirritating. Depending on your sensitivity level other products in your skincare regimen can be too much for the eye area or not concentrated enough to penetrate the thinner skin.
So what do you want to see in an eye product?
– Antioxidants to support free radical damage from environmental factors that lead to the breakdown of collagen and elastin.
– Ingredients to keep the area hydrated which will help plump the skin and increase elasticity to support the dryness and the expression lines from repetitive movements.
– Peptides that will help to strengthen the skin and increase the production of collagen and elastin keeping the skin looking revitalized and refreshed.
Which Sorella Apothecary eye product is best for you? We have two great options to choose from. Both are loaded with peptides targeted to support collagen and elastin production, stimulate the lymphatic system to help de-puff the eye area, and keep the eye area hydrated and refreshed.
For targeting fine lines and wrinkles reach for Yogurt Kale Eye Concentrate. Key ingredient Argireline has a relaxing effect on the muscles to help prevent future fine lines and wrinkles while Syn®-ake peptide mimics retinol to smooth and strengthen the skin.
If you struggle with dark circles and puffiness, then Aloe Cucumber Eye Gel is going to be your new best friend. Haloxyl works to decrease inflammation helping lighten dark circles while Eyeless Peptide increases lymphatic circulation for that bright eyed look.
For our skincare enthusiasts out there who have a hard time choosing favorites try using Aloe Cucumber Eye Gel in the morning and Yogurt Kale Eye Concentrate at night. The coolness of the gel in the morning is a great way to wake up and tackle the day while the super hydrating and regenerating properties of the concentrate (cream) keep you glowing throughout.